Live Life

Because every girl deserves the right to become a cool, collected and wonderfully awkward young woman =)

This is NOT a niche-based blog, it is simply a collection of thoughts and ideas relevant to young adults as well as a record of my personal development.

Please subscribe to my Associated Content Feed

http://www.associatedcontent.com/rss/custom_587794_The+Freelance+Diaries____.xml

Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Joys and Pains of Being an Introvert

Well, after thinking for a few days on what my next blog post would be, I decided on this: the risks and benefits of introversion.

Welcome to my world:

I wake up, do some studying, maybe do a little internet research on a topic that interests me (usually something to do with healthcare or animal science), socialize just a bit via text message, Facebook, etc. (I still don't get the hype of twitter), and walk the dog. So what do I do with the rest of my time?

I spent quite a bit of time interacting with my family. I feel a lot of people in my age group lose out on the benefits of spending time with there families for being eager to always be on the scene. I for one could care less about "the scene." I rarely party, as I find other things to do with my time. (maybe this is one of the things that makes me so delightfully awkward)

I spend a lot of time talking to my boyfriend. He is a constant in my life and I really enjoy our relationship. Unfortunately, we are about to enter the dreaded territory of the long distance relationship, but I think we can make it.

I also have developed plenty of hobbies. I love to read and to write, although I really need to spend a lot of time clearly planning things out when I write. I also like to play video games and watch anime. I watch the occasional television series, and some movies. I like to be outdoors, either walking, or just sitting and thinking. I even began to embrace my artistic side and found that I like to do different art projects from time to time. I'd say discovering what you like to do is quite a benefit of introversion, if you'd ask me.

Now here's where the introversion really kicks in. I have only a few friends that I have semi-regular contact with. Of course I have plenty of acquaintances, but there's nothing like an actual friend. Now this is a serious issue, because as everyone knows, networking is absolutely crucial to the college student. Here's where my dilemma begins: I am incredibly shy and quite nervous around people I don't know well. I feel as if I may even put up a barrier and inadvertently stop myself from becoming close to others. I have missed out on opportunities due to my shyness. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Fortunately, I have begun to place myself out of my comfort zone. Little by little, I'm realizing how beneficial it is to open up to others. My first real eye-opener was being able to shadow a physician, just by simply asking questions and following through, while leaving my shyness and nervousness on the back-burner. I hope that as I approach my junior year of college, I can keep up this momentum and continue to strive for excellence while learning about myself and what I was meant to do in this world.
=)

3 comments:

  1. I can relate to this post so much, my shyness absolutley held me back, and made me miss opportunities, but like you, I enjoy spending time on my own. I'm 32 now, and I'm much better than I was, but everday my shyness still holds me back, all I can say is that if everyone in the world was the same, it'd be pretty boring, so embrace your shyness, you introvert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lolz, I'm not very shy. And long distance relationships suck big-time. Good luck :) Cool blog. I'm going to folloe it. Feel free to follow me as well. :D
    -Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments!

    jprp: It's encouraging to hear that those of us who can't help our shyness can still make it in this world.

    JodieeHeartzYou: Thank you for following! I like your blog as well, so you've gained me as a follower too :)

    ReplyDelete