Live Life

Because every girl deserves the right to become a cool, collected and wonderfully awkward young woman =)

This is NOT a niche-based blog, it is simply a collection of thoughts and ideas relevant to young adults as well as a record of my personal development.

Please subscribe to my Associated Content Feed

http://www.associatedcontent.com/rss/custom_587794_The+Freelance+Diaries____.xml

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Horrifying Emergency Care

This post could very well be considered a rant. I did not originally intend to rant, but I have to write on this issue.

America, we have really got to do better in emergency care.

I have severe myopia (nearsightedness in both eyes), so I take any issues I have with my eyes VERY seriously.

So today after extreme discomfort in one eye for the entire day, I call my primary care physician and she recommends that I go to an Emergency Room just to be sure that everything is OK.

My mother and I head off to the nearest ER and arrive at approximately 6:00 pm. The waiting room is so crowded that we had to stand in the hallway outside of the ER. Many patients who had been waiting voice their frustrations about the length of time they had been waiting. I hope to God they are exaggerating.

7:28pm: I have yet to even be called back for registration. But hey, we finally found two adjacent seats in the waiting room.

8:00pm: A young woman enters the waiting room in extreme pain and can barely walk. The receptionist tells her that she will have to wait and she sits as her mom explains the severity of the case. The girl then stands up, attempts to ask for help, and collapses. It takes several minutes for them to find her a bed, leaving her to suffer on the floor. Two minutes later, they roll her out in a wheelchair to complete her registration paperwork even though her mom was with her. She almost collapses again in the waiting room. Unbelievable.

8:45pm: I have finally registered and have my wristband. They continue to call the same three people at least 4 times, even though they left due to frustrations with the wait time an hour before. My mom sees a friend, who says she hopes we are next. Move on...please!

9:00pm: Finally, I am taken to an examination room. I am examined briefly, diagnosed, and told my treatment. This was perhaps the fastest segment of my visit, which is a plus.

9:30pm: The nurse returned with my prescriptions, and takes my temperature and blood pressure after my diagnosis. Hmmm...a little late, perhaps?

My pharmacy is now closed, and I ask if they happen to have my medicine on-hand. Of course, I get a no. I cannot start my treatment until the morning. How ideal =/.

I, for one, think that the emergency care system in the US is in serious need of a re-vamping. The things I saw in the waiting room were absolutely ridiculous. The method of registration should be standardized across all hospitals. I know some hospitals offer digital registration which can really expedite service. Speed should be maximized as the object of emergency care is to treat patients as quickly and efficiently as possible.

The care for people who are in severe pain should also be improved. That young woman needed to remain in her bed. They should have had her mother complete the registration, or at the very least, brought it to her. To bring her back out was utterly ludicrous.

Even though I greatly appreciate the availability of emergency services, I was disappointed today.

I give today's experience with emergency care 2 thumbs down.



Rant over =)

Please subscribe to my blog. Oh and read The Freelance Diaries. Thanks a bunch!


Photo from:
http://www.theinsider.com/news/1947944_9_patients_made_nearly_2_700_ER_visits_in_Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment